At least one week before you travel:
- Figure out where you are going, how you are getting there, costs, etc.
- Send an email to Seth requesting travel approval. Include estimated cost and index number in email. Seth will forward that email to James, since James likes to see all travel and have the chance to approve or disapprove if he wants. But we won't wait for a response from James before going forward with the next steps.
- Go to https://usu.service-now.com and click Login, then log in with your A number and password.
- Once you are logged in, click Service Catalog>Business Services>Travel Forms>ServiceNow Travel Dashboard> New Travel Authorization.
- Submit the TA request, and then email or call Karen Harris (firstname.lastname@example.org) to make sure she received it. You will need a TA number from Karen before you can book a flight with Christopherson, if you choose to go that route. So do this well in advance of your travel. Also, you will need to give Christopherson our DP code, which is DPVAIR.
After you return from travel:
- Go to the same website as before, but select New Travel Reimbursement, and fill out that form. again, it wouldn't hurt to call Karen and make sure she received it. Don't forget to save receipts, etc.
- All travel receipts, whether or not you paid out of pocket or USU paid with a travel card or something, need to be uploaded to the TR request. Also, all travel expenses for that trip, whether you paid for them out of pocket or not, need to be written out in the TR request.
- Remember that you can't use an ordinary University P-card to make travel purchases (hotel, flights, taxi, etc.). These can only be done with your own card or with a travel P-card. Colleen Cruz has one and can reserve hotels rooms or whatever with her travel card.
- If you are flying, you can either book your flights through Christopherson Travel, ask Seth to book the flights for you with his Travel card, you can get your own Travel card, or you can pay with your personal card and get reimbursed.
- For Christopherson: it is best if you figure out more-or-less what flights you want and then book them through Christopherson Travel. The contact number for Christopherson Travel is 1-866-489-9834. Or you can call 801-538-3358 and ask for Merrilee.
- For meals and per diem, you can either accept the standard $47 per day the University offers, or you can get reimbursed for actual costs. Most of the time everyone goes with the $47 per day, because if you do that you don't have to save your meal and incidental receipts. If you opt for actual costs, you will only get reimbursed for the receipts you turn in, and they may give you a hard time if there are really expensive meals, etc.
For information about what counts as work during travel and what doesn't, go to https://www.usu.edu/policies/382/. (This only applies to hourlies and non-exempt salaried employees)