Senior Research Scientist
Dr. Jones, a Senior Researcher in the Plants, Soils, and Climate department at Utah State University, has a Ph.D. in Ecology. She works closely with the Bingham Research Center’s team in Vernal, Utah on a wide array of environmental issues. Her work includes:
- Hazard assessment of heavy metals in a wetland system to quantify the potential risk and toxicological impact on aquatic birds and fish breeding in Pariette Wetlands.
- Test soil reclamation techniques and their impacts used on abandoned well pads that are unique to an arid landscape and to help increase wildlife habitat and the overall soil health.
- Measure and quantify hydrocarbon emissions using a flux chamber and GCXGC mass spectrometer to assist land managers in the oil and gas industry to make best management decisions to reduce ozone production in the Uintah Basin.
- Work hand-in-hand with the state, cities, counties, tribes, and military installations to develop computer tools and a knowledge base that will guide community and military planners, energy developers, and land stewards in the siting of energy projects that are compatible with the military operations in Utah.
- Monitor endangered endemic plant species of the Uinta Basin.
- Use of Citizen Science to give students an authentic research experience.